This palace is situated near Bherughat approximately 6 K.m away from Ujjain. This palace is constructed in approximately 1 k.m area. In this area other than palace - kitchen, stable, garden, fountain and residences for courtier is also constructed. This two floored palace is situated on the bank of Kshipra River and is constructed as a rest house for summer and as a court of law. This palace was constructed in the middle of the year 1500 – 1510 A.D by Abdul Kadir Nasiruddin Khilji who was the sultan of Khilji dynasty in Malwa.
This palace is created in a square and on high platform (approximately 3 meter high from land). For entrance gate opens in all four directions. For reaching passage having stairs is constructed on all the doors, formation of all the doors are in the vastu style of khilji sultans of Malwa. In this doors high and sharp mehrabs are been made, this are influenced from the sultan of Malwa. This palace contains two corridors. One veranda is outside and one veranda is inside. In all the four direction of the main assembly room entrance is from one – one door. In this shape of the roof is given through Mehrabs, on the top of which tomb like structure has been made. The plaster of red sandstone has been done on the wall.
To reach to the top floor of this two floor palace, one secret door is given from the corridor. On the top floor some construction work is done probably in Maratha period. Heavy plaster has been done specially on the top of the dome in 18th century, but it has been constructed in the style of Khilji sultans of Malwa that is this heavy weighted and small heighted appearing dome is the gift from the Delhi sultans. On the second floor of the palace there is a veranda (balcony). In which delicate and beautiful grid work is done in all the four direction.
Fountains for royal facilities in the palace and residence for the workers working in the palace and kitchen for food arrangement has been constructed. Beautiful arrangements have been done to deliver water into it.
Kitchen is there to the adjacent of the main door of the Jagati in the east of the palace. This renovated kitchen is divided into three parts. In the first part food is decorated in an organized manner. In the third and the last part of the kitchen cold and hot water arrangement is there. The big shaped tanks of old Maratha period can be seen here till today also that was constructed to store water altogether. The relation of this to the big tank can be seen very clearly.
Water kund –
In the front of the palace beautiful garden is there and at a distance small water body of 52 ponds is there. Colonel luard has written that “Nasiruddin Khilji used to take bath in this water kunds usually.” Getting attracted from this place emperor Akbar settled here on 15 January, in the year 1599.
Construction project -
In this water body 52 Kund are constructed. It feels outstanding to know that Persian technology of construction had already come in khilji sultan period. The artist has tried to represent the flow of water with the help of square diagram of the geometry technology. On the basis of this complete construction strategy umbrella are constructed in the middle, which are open. In the season of summer people sit in this umbrella.
Like this, this water body is the example of special architecture, which adds the beauty to the grace of Kaliadeh palace. This water body is still in its original form and is a remarkable example of Islamic architecture in Ujjain.
The garden of the Kaliadeh palace –
This garden has been constructed in the front of Kaliadeh palace. Construction of this was also done by khilji ruler Abdul Kadir Nasiruddin Khilji in his period for resting in summer season. At the back of the garden palace is constructed and in front water body has been constructed. Fountains are made in this garden.
From the evidence of above Vastu architecture it is clear that in the main religious city of muslim ruling period Ujjain many cultural events were held in which this rulers had interest and co operation was also obtained in it which is the evidence of religious holdings.